Friday, February 26, 2016

Fudgy Brownies with the Perfect Chocolate Frosting



I think I've come to the conclusion that brownies just might be my favorite dessert.  Right out of the oven, chilled in the refrigerator, frosting, no frosting - you decide and I'll probably help you eat it!  I'm sure over time I will be sharing many a brownie recipes with you, I just wish my kids liked them more because when I glance over and see the 8x8 inch pan starring at me from the other side of the kitchen I have to go over and even it off just one more time.  Then Colby comes home and wonders who has eaten all the brownies I just made last night.  Ummm... the baby?

Now these brownies are a little rich.  My favorite way to eat them is after they've chilled in the fridge.  Chilling brownies is one of the best kept secrets that I'm so glad someone shared with me.  These go perfect with a glass of cold milk - just about the only time I drink milk.  And this frosting.  Oh my.  My daughter just yesterday said, "Can you just take the top part off for me and put it in a bowl?"  It's that good, and I'm not really a lover of frosting.  Now I'll try any frosting, but sometimes I have to scrape some off because it's just a little too much.  Not this frosting though.  Once you've spread it on these brownies please hand me over the spatula and bowl and mixers because well, I will just have to lick them clean for you.

The brownies start off a little gritty


but once you add the eggs it glosses right up


You just want to run your finger through that frosting don't you?  I do!

Fudgy Brownies
Yield: Between 9 and 16 - depending on how big you cut them ;)

Ingredients
10 tablespoons butter
1 1/4 cups sugar
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1/2 cup all-purpose flour

Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and lightly grease an 8x8-inch pan with cooking spray.
2. Combine the butter, sugar, cocoa and salt in a medium microwave-safe bowl.  Microwave for one minute intervals, stirring between, until the butter is melted and the mixture is smooth.  Set the mixture aside until it cools slightly.  You want it warm, but not hot.  It will look gritty but will become smooth once the eggs are added.
3. Stir in the vanilla then add the eggs one at a time, stirring vigorously after each one.  When the batter looks thick, shiny and well blended add the flour.  Combine until you can't see the flour anymore.  Beat for another 40 or so strokes then spread evenly into the pan.
4. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out slightly moist with batter.  The recipe I got this from says 20-25 minutes but I usually have to cook mine 30-35 minutes.  Depending on your oven you'll have to start to watch it after about 20 minutes.  Let them cool completely on a cooling rack and if you'd like - place them in the refrigerator once they're completely cooled.  I think I've done this every time once I learned about chilling brownies.  It really is so super yummy this way.

Perfect Chocolate Frosting
Ingredients
6 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3-5 tablespoons milk or cream

Directions
Using an electric mixer, cream together the butter, cocoa and salt on medium speed for about 2-3 minutes.  Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add the powdered sugar.  Mix on low speed until all the ingredients are combined.  Add the vanilla then starting with just a few tablespoons start to add the milk.  Add more as needed according to the consistency you like.  Mix on medium-high speed until smooth and fluffy.  Spread over cooled brownies and enjoy.

Source: modified slightly from smittenkitchen.com and melskitchencafe.com







No comments:

Post a Comment