Monday, February 29, 2016

Skillet Vegetables over Rice


This is one of my favorite go-to dinners for a couple of reasons.  It's easy, it doesn't take long, my kid's really like it and it's healthy.  You can tweak it lots of different ways according to what you and your family like.  I've made it before with tomato sauce and also added diced tomatoes, but the recipe listed below is our favorite version.  This dinner actually reminds me a little of my mom - vegetables thrown into a skillet and wah-lah: a yummy meal.  I just wish I was growing these vegetables in a garden in my backyard and she was sitting at my table enjoying it with me.



Ingredients
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, diced 
1/2 green bell pepper, diced
2 medium zucchinis, diced 
2 medium yellow squashes, diced 
2 chicken bullion cubes
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon basil
1 teaspoon parsley
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
salt and pepper
rice

Directions
Heat 1-2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet.  Add onions and bell peppers and sauté them for 3-5 minutes.  Add zucchini, squash, about 1-2 cups of water and bullion cubes.  Bring everything to a boil.  Let it all boil over medium heat and add oregano, basil, parsley, garlic and onion powders, and salt and pepper to taste.  You can add more or less of any of the spices listed.  Stir and add water as needed according to the consistency you like.  We like there to be a little broth but not too soupy.  Boil for about 10-15 minutes until all is tender.  I don't like my veggies mushy so I make sure to not them them simmer for too long.  Serve over hot rice.

Source: tastyonmymind


No comments:

Post a Comment