Monday, February 22, 2016

Homemade Maple Syrup



So I'm not exaggerating when I say I make pancakes at least 5 times a week.  (I'll be adding my favorite pancake recipe to the site very soon!)  Pancakes 5 times a week for about 5 people each time, you do the math... that's a heck of a lot of syrup.  This maple syrup recipe saved my grocery budget, my tastebuds and my desire to stay away from ingredients like Sodium Hexametaphosphate.  After tasting this syrup and then going back to the store-bought brands lets just say, I haven't bought syrup from the store in probably 2 years.

This syrup feels light, tastes wonderful and is so easy to make.  It stores wonderfully and let's face it - you feel like a rock-star when you say, "Ha, I make my own syrup."  You probably leave out the "Ha" part but you still feel like a rock-star.  And you should.

I love the maple extract from Cooks.  The only non-natural ingredient is the caramel color.  It tastes pure - because it is!  If you can find an all-natural maple extract around you then even better.  Saves you the shipping fee.  I'm sure the maple extracts from the grocery store would work fine, but I have to say I've never tried them.  You honestly cannot go wrong with Cooks.  (Their 8oz bottle lasts me months and months so the cost is very efficient.)

Here's to wonderful, homemade, healthier, happier breakfast mornings.


Homemade Maple Syrup
Yield: About 10 cups

Ingredients
8 cups granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup honey
5 cups water
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 teaspoons pure maple extract

Directions
1. In a large 5-6 quart pot, combine sugars, honey and water.  Bring the mixture to a boil then reduce the heat to low so the mixture gently simmers.  Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.  Remove the pot from the heat and let it cool for 20 minutes before adding the vanilla and maple extracts.  Let the syrup cool in the pot for another 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Fill the jars and allow the syrup to cool completely before placing the lids on top.
2. Store covered jars in the refrigerator.  This syrup will last up to 2 months in the refrigerator.  We like our syrup warm so we warm them up in the microwave before serving.


Source: modified slightly from Melskitchencafe.com

No comments:

Post a Comment