Friday, April 29, 2016

Focaccia Bread



I love Focaccia bread.  I REALLY LOVE eating Focaccia bread after I've dipped it in a little olive oil and Balsamic Vinegar.  Highly recommended.  When I make this at home I feel like I'm eating at a nice Italian restaurant.  It feels - and tastes - so good.  Focaccia bread is so simple to make and this recipe makes a ton.  Plenty for everyone to have their fair share to dip in a little (or a lot of) oil and vinegar.  Now if you don't want to make as much as this recipe does, I imagine cutting the recipe in half and making it in a 9-inch circular pan would work just fine.  I however always make the full batch because it keeps great in a tupperware and I may or may not have just eaten 5 pieces for my lunch today.  I also love anytime I can use fresh rosemary since I have it growing in my backyard.  Every time I look outside and see my growing herbs it makes me happy.  Then when I can use my own herbs and how flavorful they make everything it makes me even happier!  If you need something to pick you up when you're a little blue I recommend buying a little herb plant.  It'll be so happy to have you and I promise you'll be so happy when you can add it to your recipes.  Happy Focaccia Friday!     









Focaccia Bread
Yield: 8-10 servings

Ingredients
1 3/4 cups warm (110-115 degrees F) water
2 1/4 (1 package) teaspoons instant yeast
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh rosemary leaves, chopped and divided (about 3 sprigs)
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
5 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, unbleached
1 tablespoon kosher salt, plus more for sprinkling
3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided

Directions
In the bowl of a stand mixer with the dough hook attached, combine the water, yeast, 2 teaspoons chopped rosemary, sugar and half of the flour.  Stir to combine.  Once well combined turn the mixer off and add the remaining flour, salt and 1/2 cup olive oil.  (Make sure to add these ingredients together before mixing because if you add the olive oil once everything is already mixed the olive oil won't mix in right.)  Turn mixer on medium speed and knead for 5 to 6 minutes, until the dough is smooth and soft.  If the dough still seems really sticky you can add a little bit more flour.

Spray another bowl with non-stick cooking spray and transfer the dough to this bowl.  Cover with plastic wrap and let it rise until doubled, about 1 hour.

Coat a jelly roll pan with the remaining 1/4 cup olive oil.  Put the dough onto the jelly roll pan and begin pressing it out with your fingertips to fit the size of the pan.  It should stretch and fit just about the whole pan.  As you do this excess oil from under the dough will start to come up the sides of the pan and onto the top of the dough.  Use this extra oil to spread across the top of the dough.  There should be plenty to cover the whole top.  If there is not, drizzle a little bit more olive oil to cover the top.  Use your fingers to make small indents on the top of the dough.  Sprinkle remaining chopped rosemary and kosher salt (or coarse sea salt if you'd like) over the oil.

Cover the dough with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled in size, about 1 more hour.  Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.  Bake until golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes.  Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before cutting and serving.  Serve extra-virgin olive oil and Balsamic Vinegar on the side.

Recipe Source: adapted slightly from handletheheat.com

No comments:

Post a Comment