Monday, April 4, 2016

Skillet Chicken Gyros with Yogurt-Cucumber Sauce


So I've started becoming a little more serious about my running these last few weeks.  Ever since October 31st of last year I've run two 5K's and one 10-mile race.  It's nothing amazing but it's given me goals to work towards.  Last week I signed up for my first 10K for the end of April.  With picking up my running and trying to do better I've started paying more attention to what kinds of food I'm eating, trying to fuel my body with more of the good things it needs.  After all... without a healthy body I can't do this hobby that I'm starting to fall in love with.  Last week I bought this cookbook on Amazon.  I've never loved a cookbook as much as I love this one, and I've only had it for one week!  This is where I found this super yummy, fast and easy recipe!  It's good for your body and good for your tastebuds!  I loved the yogurt-cucumber sauce, and it's so easy to make.  I'm pretty sure I'll be making this recipe many times these upcoming hot Summer months.


Skillet Chicken Gyros with Yogurt-Cucumber Sauce
Yield: 4 servings

Ingredients
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/2 cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
1 small clove garlic, minced
4 large whole wheat pitas
1 cup chopped lettuce (of your choice) or spinach
1/2 tomato, chopped
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese

Directions
Coat a large skillet with non-stick cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat.

In a bowl, combine the chicken, oil, oregano, salt and pepper.  Cook the chicken for 5 to 6 minutes per side, or until the thickest portion of the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees and the juices run clear.  Transfer to a cutting board and cut into thin slices.

Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the yogurt, cucumber and garlic.  With the tip of a knife, cut an opening in one side of each pita.

Fill each pita with one-fourth of the lettuce (of your choice), tomato, feta and chicken.  Spoon the yogurt-cucumber sauce over the chicken.

Recipe Source: Golub, Joanna, Sayaho.  Runner's World: Meals on the Run, 150 energy-packed recipes in 30 minutes or less. Rodale, 2015.

2 comments:

  1. Can look at my blog to see prices, and nutritional facts of chicken at different grocery stores.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is going on my summer menu rotation too! Looks so yummy!!

    ReplyDelete