Wednesday, April 6, 2016

The. Best. Cinnamon Rolls. Ever!

So maybe in my last post I mentioned how I'm trying to eat healthier, and I really am like snacking on hard boiled eggs instead of Teddy Grahams and drinking protein powder every day and adding more good cards into my diet, but, well... I am still human and still have my weaknesses.  Sweets and chocolate are some of those weaknesses and these cinnamon rolls fall under that category but I don't feel guilty when I eat them.  I just feel happy.  I know there are thousands of cinnamon roll recipes in the world, but I have to tell you this is the best recipe I have come across so far.  

Now I cut this recipe in half to bring it down to 12 cinnamon rolls, but it doubles very nicely to make 24.  If I'm just making them for my family I leave it at 12 rolls.  These rolls are BIG!  But I really enjoy giving them away to friends so when I do that I double the batch. 

Another WONDERFUL thing about these babies (besides everything about them) is that they freeze SO nicely and still taste wonderful once you've warmed them up again.  So to freeze them: once they are completely cooled, transfer a single cinnamon roll to a quart-sized ziplock bag.  Seal the bag with as little air inside as possible and freeze them up to a month.  (They've never stayed in my freezer longer than a week!)  To reheat, remove the roll from the bag (they pop right out!) and warm them in the microwave for about 1 minute.





This girl can down these babies!


The Best Cinnamon Rolls.  Ever!
Yield: 12 cinnamon rolls

Ingredients
Rolls:
2 cups milk
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon instant yeast
2 large eggs
6-7 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
Filling:
4 tablespoons butter, softened
1 cup lightly packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
Frosting:
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
4 tablespoons butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon maple extract/flavoring
Pinch of salt
1 pound powdered sugar
Milk for consistency

Directions
For the dough, heat the milk in a saucepan until the milk is scalded (right before it simmers - it will start steaming and little bubbles will form around the side of the pan).  Pour the milk into the bowl of an electric mixer with the dough hook attached.

Add butter, sugar and salt and mix until the butter is melted.  Let the mixture cool until warm but not hot.  Add the yeast and eggs and gradually add the flour until the dough clears the sides of the bowl.  The dough should be soft and just slightly sticky without leaving a lot of residue on your fingers.  Knead for 3-4 minutes.  Transfer the dough to a large, lightly greased bowl and cover with lightly greased plastic wrap until it has doubled in size.

Roll the dough into an 18x12-inch rectangle.  (It's soft enough you don't need a rolling pin.  You can do it by hand.  I love it!)  Spread the softened 4 tablespoons of butter over the dough.  Combine the brown sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle on top.  Gently pat it with your hands.  Starting with one long end, roll up the cinnamon rolls as tightly as possible.  With a serrated knife, cut the cinnamon roll in half.  Then cut each half in half again (forming four equal portions).  Then cut each of the four portions into three rolls making 12 rolls total.  Place the rolls evenly spaced on a silpat lined or sprayed with non-stick spray large, rimmed baking sheet.  Cover the pan with lightly greased plastic wrap and let the rolls rise until double.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.  Bake the rolls for about 18-22 minutes until only slightly golden on top.  Let the rolls cool almost completely in the pan before frosting.  This helps the frosting stay in place and not melt all over.

For the frosting, in a large bowl, whip together the cream cheese and butter.  Add the vanilla, maple and salt and mix until combined.  Gradually add the powdered sugar and mix until thick and creamy.  Add milk a little at a time until the frosting is smooth and at the consistency you like.  Spread on top of the cinnamon rolls.

*Note:  I've made these with a cheaper Maple Extract and they just didn't taste as good.  My favorite Maple Extract is this one.  It might be a little pricier but it is so worth it.  I use it for my Maple Syrup recipe as well.

Recipe Source: adapted slightly from melskitchencafe.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment