Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Baked Sweet Potato Fries


I love french fries.  I love sweet potatoes.  Why has it taken me so long to make Sweet Potato French Fries?  I don't know why, but I'm glad I've started now!  This recipe is easy and has a nice little kick to it.  I wish I could say it's fast, but these little guys have to bake for about 40 minutes so it's not super fast.  When I know I'm going to be hungry within the next little while I make them, throw them in the oven, help the kids and do everything around the house that needs to be done and then sit down and enjoy a healthy snack.  I do love that these are a very healthy snack option and they're tasty!  

And don't worry - if you don't have arrowroot it's okay.  I've made these many times before I went out and bought arrowroot and they still turned out just fine.  The picture below is with arrowroot.  They turn out crispier with arrowroot than without.


Sweet Potato Fries
Yield: 2-4 servings

Ingredients
2 sweet potatoes
1 tablespoon coconut oil
3/4 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Sea salt, to taste
2 teaspoons arrowroot starch

Directions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and lightly grease a baking sheet or use a Silpat liner.  Set aside.

Peel (or don't peel if you'd like) the sweet potatoes then slice them into thin french fries.  Try to make them as similar in size and thickness as possible so they all bake evenly.  The thicker you slice them the soggier they will be, the thinner you slice them that faster they will bake (and possibly burn).  It may take a few times of trial and error to find the thickness that works for you.

In a large bowl combine the sweet potatoes, coconut oil, chili powder, and garlic powder.  Use your hands to evenly coat the potatoes with the spices.  Add the sea salt and arrowroot and mix again well with your hands.

Spread the fries out in a single layer on the baking sheet.  Bake for 20 minutes then carefully turn the fries over and bake for another 15-20 minutes.  You want the fries to be crisp on the outside and tender on the inside.

Recipe Source: Adapted from Kimberly Snyder's Spicy Baked Sweet Potato French Fries

No comments:

Post a Comment