Monday, August 22, 2016

Restaurant-Style Salsa



Why haven't I ever thought about making my own salsa until now?  I've used salsa in so many recipes and Colby and some of my kids love to sit down and snack on chips and salsa.  I've never been able to do that and I just realized it's because I've never loved the salsa.  That is, until now.  Last week I sat down to a bowl like this and before I knew it I had finished it off.  There was probably 1/3 of the bowl still full.  Oops.  But to us, it's really that good. 


A few weeks ago I started searching around online for salsa recipes.  I found some that looked pretty easy and that I thought we would like.  We made them and tried them out, adjusted the one we liked the best, and now I'm here to share our favorite version with you!


There are so many great things about making your own salsa.  First off, it's cheaper and it makes a ton!  You can also add or take away or adjust the ingredients to how you and others with you like it.  It also feels good that you can make something better than how you can buy it at the store and even in most restaurants.  And most of these ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen.


I'm excited for you to make your own and I hope you love it as much as our family does. 




Restaurant-Style Salsa
Yield: About 4 cups

Notes: I can't do a lot of heat so I seed my jalepeno's and only add 1/4 of one jalepeno.  It still adds a little kick, but it doesn't make it too hot for us very mild tasting taste-budders.  You can adjust most of these measurements according to what you like.

Ingredients
28oz can tomatoes, with juice (whole, diced, or crushed is fine)
1/2 red onion, peeled and roughly chopped
1/4 to 1 Jalepeno pepper, seeded and chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 bunch cilantro
3 tablespoons lime juice (from about 2)

Directions
Add all ingredients to a food processor in the order listed above and pulse a few times to break up the larger pieces.  Continue to process until the texture is how you like it.  Give the salsa a little taste and make sure it's how you like it.  If needed, adjust measurements according to your preference then process a little more.

Transfer to an airtight container and place in the refrigerator.  This salsa tastes best once it's chilled for a couple of hours or overnight.

Serve with tortilla chips.

Recipe Source: adapted from the chunky chef.

No comments:

Post a Comment